PSD – Appropriate Authority Decision Making
Dealing proportionately and robustly with complaints against police at the appropriate level is a cost-effective way of safeguarding a Force’s reputation and building public confidence.
The policing landscape and the police complaints system both underwent major change in 2012. Amendments made to the complaints process by the Government in the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 were designed to remove unnecessary bureaucracy from the system, ensure that complaints are handled at the lowest appropriate level and focus more on putting right the issues complained about by a member of a public.
What is the PSD Appropriate Authority Decision Making course about?
- Who is the ‘Appropriate Authority’ in differing circumstances?
- What legislation underpins their decision making?
- What legislation needs to be considered at different stages?
- What options exist to achieve a timely and successful complaint resolution at the lowest appropriate level.
This course will empower delegates, providing them with a detailed understanding of the relevant and overlapping legislation involved; explore the requirements of the assessments that must be completed, how to record these assessments and the options available
What are the PSD Appropriate Authority Decision Making course outcomes?
- Enable delegates to identify who is capable of acting as an ‘Appropriate Authority’ and in what circumstances
- Provide decision makers with a framework on which to base their assessments
- Identify what decisions are required, and at what stage of the process, by the various Statutes and guidance
- Describe the options available to the decision maker
- Provide a framework on which to base assessment of a complaint
- Identify the options available to a decision maker
- Describe what makes an ‘ethical decision’
Who is the PSD Appropriate Authority Decision Making course target audience?
- Police Officers or Staff acting as ‘Appropriate Authorities’ designated by Chief Officers.
- Professional Standards Department investigators and staff.
Appropriate Authority Training Workshop
- Friday 20th October.
- Durham Police Headquarters
- Places may be available on request for external students
- £140.00 +vat – non-residential.
- Please contact Sancus for information and prices on this course
Costs for bespoke ‘in-house’ Appropriate Authority Training, either one or two day, are dependant on delegate numbers, venue and location so please contact our lead, Ian Kennedy, to discuss your requirements.
If you prefer, we are able to arrange bespoke PSD Courses throughout the country, either at your organisation or at a suitable venue nearby, and at a time that is convenient to you.
Our PSD course lead is Ian Kennedy and can be contacted on 07814 904830 or email email@example.com for further details.